We have come this far by faith.
The congregation of King Street celebrated 65 years of outreach and disciple-making in 2011.
This growing church had its beginnings in 1946 when Mr. Frank Danzey began a Sunday School in his home in the College Hill area. The first Sunday afternoon twenty-four children attended. From the very beginning there was biblical evidence that God was at work and this came with ‘whole-person’ life-transformation.
The cornerstone of the first College Hill Pentecostal Tabernacle was laid at the corner of Park Road and Tresane. The dedication took place on March 11, 1951. The Pastors of this Church were Pastor Earle F. Danzey, Pastor Donald Rogers and Pastor James MacKnight. Under Pastor MacKnight’s leadership, land was purchased on King Street West and a new church was dedicated to the Glory of God on October 25, 1959. The new location brought a new name and the church was re-named King Street Pentecostal Church. From this new location the gospel continued to be preached and many came to know Christ and experienced the empowerment of the Spirit. Pastor MacKnight was followed by Pastor E. Howard Kerr, Pastor S. Donald Feltmate and Pastor Hudson T. Hilsden. Under the leadership of Pastor Hilsden a new church sanctuary was built and the existing structure renovated. During the construction of the new auditorium there was a serious accident. The crane used to lift the wooden beams came too close to the high tension line running along King Street.
This line carrying 13,800 volts struck three men (Lorne Chapman, Murray Bell and Harvey McQuoid) who were assisting with the construction, rendering them unconscious, and threw Pastor Hilsden over twenty feet. God miraculously intervened and all three men were revived. The new auditorium was dedicated to God’s glory on June 4, 1972. Pastor Bert K. Liira, Pastor Donald W. Cantelon, Pastor Richard J. Green, Pastor Scott Young, Pastor Jeff Shiplett and Pastor Chuck Price followed as Lead Pastors. The present Lead Pastor is Pastor David Larmour. King Street Community Church has been blessed with fine pastoral leadership from the Lead Pastors and the assistant pastors who have worked with them.
King Street Community Church has a very active congregation who work with the pastors in the many outreaches and programs in which the church is involved. Our primary goal is to reach the community with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
In marking the church’s special 60th anniversary, the emphasis focussed on thanksgiving to God for His mercy and grace, for His unchanging love and faithfulness.
King Street Community Church feels strong measures of faith as we consider the next assignment that God is leading us into together. We believe that good days are ahead and that there are new hills to take for His glory. Becoming a community-church that reaches others and increasingly becomes a safe place to grow is of utmost importance to our present leadership team.
We are deeply committed to carrying on the mission of Jesus in the world and that includes our local community. We believe that the Durham Region should be a better place because King Street Community Church is a part of it!
May the God who started this work carry it on to completion, until the Day when all things are renewed fully by the power of the resurrected Jesus.
In 2014, it was decided that we change our name to King Street Community Church. We are a church community that is highly relational, desires to know and reflect our God who is a community – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – and help our community around us in the Durham Region become a better place to live, learn, work and worship.
Recently, in 2015, we built a 1,000 seat auditorium, equipped with an increased lobby space, Café and renovated children’s ministry areas. Together as a church-family, we set out to make room for others and we hope you will come and join us.